Class hours: Wednesday 9:20 a. m.-12:00 p.m.
Class location: HN1022
Professor: Hongmian Gong
Office and phone: HN1050, 212-772-4658
Office hours: Wednesday 12:00-1:00 p.m., or by appointment
Web page: http://www.geography.hunter.cuny.edu/~hgong
Department office and phone: HN 1006, 212-772-5265
Analysis of East Asia’s potentials in terms of natural resources, population, industry and agriculture, with emphasis on China.
G. Veeck, C. W. Pannell, C. J. Smith, and Y. Huang, China’s Geography. Rowman & Littlefield, 2007.
Grade will be based on the following Criteria. One may strengthen the grade by meaningful discussion and by regular class attendance.
Midterm exam (Wednesday, March 19)
Final exam (May 21, 10 a.m.-12 p.m. at HN1022)
Presentation or Paper
1. Each student is required to do a 5-minute presentation or
write a 5-page (double spaced) paper, focusing on one aspect of a country in
2. March 26 (Wednesday): Classes follow Monday schedule at
3. April 16 (Wednesday): No class for this course because the instructor will be out of town for a conference.
4. April 23 (Wednesday): No class for this course because of Spring Recess.
5. May 14: Last class for this course.
Part I: East Asian Miracle
“Four Little Tigers":
East Asian Model?
Population and human resources
Statement on Academic Integrity